Science enthusiasts from around the Bay Area and the country will be gathering for a unique weekend of panels, fireside chats, and special events with some of the most interesting scientists, writers, technologists, astronauts and other creative people June 22-24 at the Hyatt Santa Clara. We hope you can join us. The theme is the exploration of the universe and the quest to find life among the planets and the stars. Please help us share this announcement with others in your organization and on your mailing list.
Here are just a few of the special guests who are appearing at SETIcon II:
· Frank Drake – the astronomer who undertook the first project to listen for extra-terrestrial radio messages and founded the SETI field.
· Alan Stern – principal investigator for the New Horizons mission to Pluto and former associate administrator for science missions at NASA.
· Robert J. Sawyer – award-winning science fiction writer who has written some of the best novels about alien contact.
· Rosaly Lopes – planetary scientist at the Jet Propulsion Lab and one of the foremost experts on volcanoes on other worlds.
· Jill Tarter – the leader of the quest to find signals from alien civilizations — on which Jodie Foster’s character in the film “Contact” is based.
· Mae Jemison – astronaut aboard the Shuttle Endeavour and the first African-American woman in space. She also played Lieutenant Palmer on “Star Trek: Next Generation”.
· Geoff Marcy – astronomer at the University of California, Berkeley, who is considered the foremost planet hunter in the world today.
· Alex Filippenko – part of the team that received the 2011 Nobel Prize for discovering the “dark energy” that is speeding up the expansion of the entire universe.
· Robert Picardo – television actor who has appeared in “Star Trek: Voyager,” “Stargate,” “China Beach,” and other programs.
· Andrew Fraknoi – astronomer at Foothill College, 2007 California Professor of the Year, and a frequent guest on radio programs explaining astronomical developments.
· David Morrison – NASA astronomer, one of the founders of the science of astrobiology, and the foremost scientist speaking out about the Doomsday 2012 myth.
· Alex Hall – the senior director of the $30 million Google Lunar X Prize.
· Bill Nye – the Science Guy, now the director of the Planetary Society.
· Seth Shostak – the SETI Institute’s public scientist, host of the syndicated “Big Picture Science” radio program, and author of a number of books on SETI.
· Debra Fischer – a Yale University professor and the first woman in history to discover a planet around another star.
For program of events and more information, go to: www.seticon.org. You will meet many of the top scientists working at the SETI Institute, hear a panel about the exploration of Mars, and hear from the Kepler team searching for planets around other stars.
Special events include a Friday Night Launch Party with a sneak peek preview of SHUTTLE3D, noted speakers, and music by The Kepler Mission. On Saturday enjoy a Luncheon with Scientists and the Gala Dinner honoring Jill Tarter. On Sunday there is the opportunity to attend a Keynote Brunch with Frank Drake.
Tickets are available now and help support the award-winning scientific and educational work of the nonprofit SETI Institute.
For attendees who wish to make this event a full experience, you may book a room at the Hyatt Santa Clara. The Santa Clara Hyatt is convenient to San Jose International Airport, light rail, and other Silicon Valley attractions.
For more information on SETIcon II: www.seticon.org
To purchase tickets: www.teamseti.org/seticon2/tickets/